Does your child need a different kind of education?
Jerry Mintz, founder of AERO, recently updated his helpful article: Ten Signs that You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child.
Here’s a quick summary. First, the ten signs that your child may need a different kind of education:
- Declarations that “I hate school.”
- Difficulty interacting with people of different ages
- Unhealthy fixation on fashion
- Tiredness and crankiness
- Complaints about conflicts and unfairness
- Lost interest in creative expression
- Apathy toward subjects that were once exciting
- Lack of excitement
- School recommendations for ADHD drugs
Mintz then goes on to cite a number of educational alternatives. Many parents aren’t aware of what might be available to them:
- Publicly-funded charter schools
- Montessori schools
- Waldorf schools
- Sudbury schools, and other democratic schools or “free schools”
- Public school alternatives:
- Public Choice/Schools within schools
- Public At-Risk
- “School at home”
For more details about the signs and the alternatives, see the original article: Ten Signs that You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child.